THE LIFE IN A DAY OF KERRIN: THE HORSEY SIDE

A VERY WARM WELCOME TO MY BLOG!


This is the place where I record my current learning experiences with horses. I’m personally aiming to become an excellent horsewoman, but the nature of horses is that they are truly catalysts for personal development. So, while half of my musings will be from a point of observation and communication with horses, this only reflects the way that I am personally developing. Because of this, it is my hope that you can relate to my blog on whatever level you wish. If you are a fellow horseman-in-training: good to meet you, it's wonderful to be on the same journey! But at the same time, if you are a complete stranger to me or to horses, you are just as welcome. Hopefully this blog will bring you some amusement; even if it is just laughing at how mad we horse people can be!


In this blog, you can find pages about my life so far, mentors, and of course, horses and my adventures with them.

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory..."

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Blaine days...

On Tuesday, we went down to visit my horse, Blaine. I loaned him out while in Tanzania (and will continue to do so while I'm in America) and was interested to see what he'd be like after 3 months apart. Someone once told me that the real test with 'problem horses,' is whether they'll allow another person to handle them. In one of Linda Parelli's DVDs, she talks about some of the different forms of confidence - that of self, environment, as a learner, in the herd/human and routine. Essentially, true confidence will extend to any situation. Many horses will start trusting a human, but that confidence and trust will be limited to only *that* particular person, and often only in that environment. How often do you see a horse dragging its owner around a showground, with the owner wailing: "he never behaves like this at home!"Its my theory that true leadership produces confidence in all aspects of life. 

Anyway, I was interested to see what Blaine's confidence would look like, as his biggest issue had always been that of trust (confidence), especially in humans. There was a stage where he would allow me to ride him, but if anyone else tried, they'd get bucked off.. where he wouldn't allow a male anywhere near him. Funnily enough, he was always tolerant of children, perhaps this is because they are far less demanding and dominating than adults. At the beginning of this year, when I started looking for a loan home, Blaine had developed a certain amount of confidence at home, so much so that he had the confidence to express himself, even confident enough to be a bit cocky! But in a different environment, without me..? Longfields is a peaceful environment, it would be hard not to relax here, but it did concern me that Blaine hadn't been in anywhere near a busy yard in the 5 years that I'd had him. 



3 months down the line, with a lot of handling from his loaner, Tracey, Blaine is even MORE confident than the last time I saw him. He is still as playful as ever, and has kept a huge amount of his sensitivity. I think there are a couple of things affecting his confidence - firstly, the leadership I've offered him over the the years has given him the self-confidence he needs. Secondly, Tracey has been hugely accommodating, and willing to take the time it takes. She has never put Blaine in a situation that would undermine his confidence. Perhaps I can be a bit too goal directed at times, so Blaine finds me too intense; Tracey is a lot gentler than me. Third, he is being kept at a lovely yard, but I think the most important factor is the timing. He was ready for this.

We had the most amazing day together! I love having my owner camera crew (aka my mum and sisters) and they got some cracking pictures...they took loads, so I'll be uploading more when I've got some time on my hands! ALSO, we managed to film our Level 3 Online Audition (yehaaaa!) and, I still need to edit it, hopefully our Level 3 Liberty as well!

If you'd like to veiw my Online audition, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqQ724HLrgE

2 comments:

  1. Blaine is just gorgeous - I bet you miss him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I miss him too much! Especially now that we're allowed to keep horses at the Parelli Campus (I'll be leasing a horse)... but heyho, that's the price you pay for being a global person!

    ~Kerrin
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete