THE LIFE IN A DAY OF KERRIN: THE HORSEY SIDE

A VERY WARM WELCOME TO MY BLOG!


This is the place where I record my current learning experiences with horses. I’m personally aiming to become an excellent horsewoman, but the nature of horses is that they are truly catalysts for personal development. So, while half of my musings will be from a point of observation and communication with horses, this only reflects the way that I am personally developing. Because of this, it is my hope that you can relate to my blog on whatever level you wish. If you are a fellow horseman-in-training: good to meet you, it's wonderful to be on the same journey! But at the same time, if you are a complete stranger to me or to horses, you are just as welcome. Hopefully this blog will bring you some amusement; even if it is just laughing at how mad we horse people can be!


In this blog, you can find pages about my life so far, mentors, and of course, horses and my adventures with them.

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory..."

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Never ending self-improvement...Life is for Learning!

Shakespeare said that "all the world's a stage" and someone else spoke about learning happening all the time (don't quote me on this, but I think John Holt said something to that extent). I'm reminded that life is a performance, and oftentimes, a spontaneous and unpracticed performance. If this performance has not been seen or experienced before, it leads me to think that it must be a learning environment, too!
I'm a constant learner. I'm pretty good at doing new things, and really enjoying things! I guess this is mostly due to the unschooling method by which I was educated. I've learned how to think outside of the box, and learn purely for the joy of learning. Interest and passion certainly have a lot to do with the motivation for learning.

So... I thought I'd share my latest discoveries with you! Firstly, I have to say that being in America, in Parelliville, and being involved in Social Media is a learning platform in itself... but outside of that I'm learning some tangible things too.
I have a passion for sailing, and have been pretty involved with the Ocean Youth Trust South for the past few years, I have been a member of their volunteer sea staff since the beginning of last year. I originally started out as a Bosun-mostly because I was too young to do anything else-but I really enjoyed playing a role where I didn't have to fit in with everyone's schedules, and where I got to learn a LOT about boat engines and maintenance. Anyway, now that I'm officially an adult in the world's eyes, I'm hoping to become a 3rd Mate with the Ocean Youth Trust South, which means that I'll need to do an assessment with them when I'm back in the UK. I'm hoping this will happen in 2010, but perhaps I'll have to wait until next year.Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to take my Yachtmaster theory qualification, so I'm currently studying for that when I get the cnace.

During my travels this year, I rekindled my passion for the continent of Africa. I also realized how little I know about this continent. So I'm currently memorizing the countries of Africa with the help of this program.... My 3 months in Tanzania this year (from March-June) taught me many things, the most obvious probably being the language of KiSwahili. I'm currently trying to get beyond the greetings, so I have downloaded a language program where I get to practice my Swahili more regularly.

The next big learning experience has been Parelli, Parelli, PARELLI! I've realized that I need to polish up on the knowledge aspect of things.... luckily my cabin mates are in the same boat as me, so we currently learn and test each other together. At the moment we're focusing on the 3 Laws of Parelli, the 7 Keys to Success, and the 8 Principles. I might actually bring myself to write them all out for you one of these days!

Me, Sharon & Gina

Of course now that I have Boltar, I want to spend every bit of free time out with him, but I try to set aside some time in the evenings (after dark) to focus on the above things!! Why can't we have a 30 hour day?!



Anyway, I hope you're all having a fantastic week, and continuously embrace learning! Maybe you care to share your learning experiences with us bloggers?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, John Holt did say we learn all the time. He said it over and over again, and in as many different ways as he possibly could, in the hope that people would listen. He even titled one of his books 'Learning All the Time'. Thanks John, for being so very persistent. I listened... I am still listening.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I guess my goal of learning French doesn't seem so impossible next to somebody who's learning Swahili. :D

    I love your blog, because you've always got something interesting to talk about! Have you ever sailed on a tall ship? I'm given to understand there are quite a few in the UK, but I'm only familiar with the ones here... I know they take on volunteer sailors as well. I sailed last year on The Hawaiian Chieftain and it was a complete blast, but we only went around Humboldt Bay. Which is probably good, because I think on the open ocean I would've had a bit more trouble and ended up more hanging over the side of the ship losing my lunch instead of enjoying a leisurely sail. ;D

    I've been working on geoquizzes too because my geography skills are a bit rusty. (Okay, a lot rusty.) I really like the ones on this site, too: http://www.mccollam.com/fun/geoquiz/ I'm thinking I might just get a huge world map to go on my wall though. :D

    ReplyDelete