THE LIFE IN A DAY OF KERRIN: THE HORSEY SIDE

A VERY WARM WELCOME TO MY BLOG!


This is the place where I record my current learning experiences with horses. I’m personally aiming to become an excellent horsewoman, but the nature of horses is that they are truly catalysts for personal development. So, while half of my musings will be from a point of observation and communication with horses, this only reflects the way that I am personally developing. Because of this, it is my hope that you can relate to my blog on whatever level you wish. If you are a fellow horseman-in-training: good to meet you, it's wonderful to be on the same journey! But at the same time, if you are a complete stranger to me or to horses, you are just as welcome. Hopefully this blog will bring you some amusement; even if it is just laughing at how mad we horse people can be!


In this blog, you can find pages about my life so far, mentors, and of course, horses and my adventures with them.

"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory..."

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Meandering with words

I've decided that Sharon (one of the Social Media Interns, who also shares our cabin) is far better than me at giving daily accounts of life here in Pagosa Springs. Of course the fact that she is camera-happy makes her blog even more lively! Check her blog out:
http://stiesdellsmithpnh.blogspot.com

We had a wonderful evening around the campfire last night. After a BBQ dinner, everyone gathered around the fire for a singsong with their guitars, voices, dance moves (you should see my 'skype dance'!) heel-clickers, and clapping hands. A local musician comes out every week, and leads the singsong. Pat Parelli was there with his guitar, and a couple of my friends on the fast-track sang us a duet. It was amazing fun! :)

I'm in a quandry as to what I should do this evening. There are more songs (with the same musician) at a local pub this evening, most of the people at the campus are going, especially as the media team will be filming for one of the episodes of 'horseman's apprentice.' The other option I have is to stay at the campus, and watch Pat Parelli and some of his students riding... and then again... I'm trying to fit in at least an hour of studying in everyday (I'm aiming to do both a Maths exam and my RYA Yachtmaster exam in October/November) so I guess setting myself up with my papers and brain would be a sensible option... ho hum, I've got too much to choose from.

I'm having a good day at the office. I decided that today was the day to read through dressage blogs... I've found some really informative things, but this quote by Nuno Oliveria (one of the dressage masters) really stood out to me:

"The secret in riding is to do few things right. The more one does, the
less one succeeds. The less one does, the more one succeeds."

Nuno Oliveira (1998, 29)


The quote is not only relevant to riding and horse-handling, but I guess it rings true in all areas of life. The challenge is to learn to channel your time and focus.

On that note, I'm going to channel my time in the direction of food... it's my lunch break!

3 comments:

  1. I'll pick for you - Come to the Brew Pub, there's plenty of time on the weekend for studying :0)

    Sharon
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sharon... I hope you went to the pub. Might be fun at least to have seen the "behind the scenes footage.... or bloopers!" LOL.

    And I must add that your posts are great on their own. I will check out Sharon's blog later tonight since you give a good review.

    rock on, ~kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kim! I'm very glad that I went to the Brew Pub in the end, we had a great evening.

    ~Kerrin

    ReplyDelete